Our club was originally founded in 1908 at a range called Lydgate near Oldham. It was located within a quarry which at the time was leased from the landowner. The owner chose to sell the quarry and at this point the committee of the club decided to look elsewhere for a new location. They knew of Deerhill, a Territorial Army range and decided, with the permission of the T.A., to use it as a home for the club.
During the 1970’s the Ministry of Defence was disposing of surplus property including ranges. At this point the committee made the bold decision to attempt to purchase the Deerhill range. Members, life members and the committee raised the money for the purchase of the range and it is thanks to them that the club have a full bore range to use today.
Over the years the committee and members have greatly improved the ranges and will continue to do so in the future.